Gucci {Designer Day}

14:00

Spring/Summer 2012 Ready-to-Wear
Designed by Frida Giannini


Ever since I first sat the newest adaptation of 'The Great Gatsby' last summer and I started Uni attending design history lectures I've been fascinated with the 1920s; I even bought a £20 book that is filled with hundred of pictures

Although the general trends of the 20's weren't the most flattering, especially compared to the small waists and corsets of the earlier 1900s, I just love it because it was such a big contrast for the time, and we have Paul Poiret to thank for the looser silhouettes and a higher hem lines.

Giannini says; "I wanted to explore an optical side of femininity by creating sculptural glamour for the Gucci woman. Fusing elements from our DNA, from design history, from photography- making them current with a strong sense of personality. Louise Brookes and Nancy Cunard in the images of Man Ray. The opulence of the era of hedonism. Mirror embroidery recalling the skyscrapers of a metropolis. Artisanal working with 3D effect."



Although not all the silhouettes are not prominmently 20's, like the high waisted trousers and boxy short jackets, there is definetly an influence in the geometric patterns, which were inspired by the Art Movement of the time; Art Deco. You could even say that some of the silhouettes were influenced by Art Deco, for example the work of Tamara De Lempicka, used linear boxy shapes to create her paintings of fashionable women. 

The collection also includes some interesting pieces in terms of manufacture; for example a black and gold leather shift dress laser-cut so minutely that it resembled eyelash fringe and a fitted T-shirt stitched together from strips of python to look like zebra stripes.

My favourite pieces in the collection has to be the gold and black drop waist dresses. The colours and fabrics give a definite modern twist to the 20s silhouette, and although these dresses have several similarities, they also differ massively making them lovely to look at. The combination of black and gold reminds me of the Great Gatsby logo as well as some of the ideas within the book, for example the a contrast in colour can represent different perspectives or how money (gold) can corrupt you (black). These dresses are so glamorous that I would still expect to see them on the red carpet this year and in coming years.





If I was slimmer I would definitely try and get a similar dress for my trip to London Fashion Week in September, but sadly I am not. I really love the costumes in the Great Gatsby, especially Daisy's, however I do feel they cheated a little bit with some of her dresses, as although they were meant to be drop waists they still clung quite snuggly to her upper silhouette, but that is one of the reasons I love them.

What do you guys think of the Great Gatsby and the collections it has inspired?
Don't you just want to go to one of his parties?

And remember, each day, live a little, laugh a little and love a little. 

You Might Also Like

0 Lovely messages

I love reading all of your comments and I promise I will reply to all of them, so remember to check back.
Love you all! ♥
xox
If you leave your link, I'll make sure to pop over. If you don't know how you can find the code here!

Featured post

Pineapple Madness {Inspiration}

Follow my blog with Bloglovin So since the weather is awful, well it's not that bad, but it's not exactly summery is it? I t...

Followers

Thank You

I would just like to thank everyone who takes the time to read my scribbles and look at my photos. I really appreciate it!

All photos are property of Beth Mac Designs unless otherwise stated or links are provided.

Subscribe