“Be like the Fountain that Overflows, not like the Cistern that Merely Contains...”

23:00

I've only just realised that it's nearly half way through May and I haven't done a book post for April, uh oh!
To be honest I never read a full book, I tried starting about 4, including 'The Winter Ghosts' by Kate Mosse and 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith. But I just wasn't into them. There is always a point when you're reading a book that you become completely captivated and you hate the realisation that at some point you'll have to put the book down and go to sleep. Well I never got that feeling about these books.
So instead I shall tell you about one of my favourite books.

'Veronika Decides to Die'
by Paulo Coelho


This is the story of a girl who would seem to have a perfect life; in the sense that she had everything she needs, however she believes her existence is boring, mundane and worthless so she decides to end her life.
However she wakes up in a mental institution as her suicide attempt fails. She is the told her excessive pill taking has left her with a fatal heart problem and she has only days left to live.
"This story follows her through these intense days as she starts to question all her ideas about life. Soon she comes to realise that every second of existence is a choice we all make between living and dying. This is a moving and uplifting song to life, one that reminds us that every moment in our lives is special and precious."

This book definitely simulates your thoughts making you feel grateful for your life and the time you have as Veronika begins to realise how much she had decided to give up as the time she has been left with runs out.
For me the reason I love this book so much is because, as I study Psychology the setting of the book is very thought provoking as it makes me question my own knowledge of mental disorders (although my knowledge exceeds my Mum's; who is a nurse, really proud of myself). There is also characters within the book that make some very philosophical arguments about mental illnesses and questions what is meant by insanity,the labels it gives people and the mark these labels leave upon the individuals.

“If one day I could get out of here, I would allow myself to be crazy. Everyone is indeed crazy, but the craziest are the ones who don't know they're crazy; they just keep repeating what others tell them to.” 
If this doesn't make you question insanity I don't know what will.

Please, please, please read this book. I promise you will not regret it!
In fact, I'm going to have to reread it at some point, purely because I love it and I really need to find my favourite quote.

"I would say that if someone only has a short time to live and decides to spend that time sitting beside a bed, watching a man sleeping, then that must be love."

So remember, each day, live a little, laugh a little and love a little. 

You Might Also Like

1 Lovely messages

  1. I totally agree - and in fact, your title IS my favourite quote in the entire book: "Be the fountain that overflows, not the cistern that merely contains" :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and I promise I will reply to all of them, so remember to check back.
Love you all! ♥
xox
If you leave your link, I'll make sure to pop over. If you don't know how you can find the code here!

Featured post

Pineapple Madness {Inspiration}

Follow my blog with Bloglovin So since the weather is awful, well it's not that bad, but it's not exactly summery is it? I t...

Followers

Thank You

I would just like to thank everyone who takes the time to read my scribbles and look at my photos. I really appreciate it!

All photos are property of Beth Mac Designs unless otherwise stated or links are provided.

Subscribe